Although juicing is becoming more popular by the day, there are still many people who are not aware of its benefits and practical use.
We were introduced to juicing about a year & a half ago by my mother in law. At the time she told us that she juiced occasionally and suggested that we try it. My response was, “Sure, I’m down. That sounds cool!” But in my head I was saying, “Now where am I going to get a juicer and don’t they cost a lot?”
About a month or so later my husband I and were scrolling through Netflix and came across the film “Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead.” Though we weren’t fat or sick and certainly not nearly dead, we were still intrigued by the overall premise of the film. Check the trailer out here and watch the full movie on Netflix. I’d let you borrow our password but we’ve already maxed out our additional profiles 😉 It’s only $7.99/month though!
Fast forward a couple of months and December 25th, 2013 was the day that our lives changed for the better! Under the tree sat my brand new juicer, courtesy of my parents in law. I know you’re thinking, who wants a juicer for Christmas but this was ALL I wanted and had no idea I would be getting it so soon.
We were so excited about juicing that we did it EVERY single day! We would just get up a little earlier to prepare everything. But now that we have 2 children, that’s not really the case anymore.
Back to my excitement… I was REALLY excited about juicing lol!! I actually went to a discount store, saw juicers, and bought another one then gave our first one to my mom.
This is our current one. Yep, it’s like the one from the Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead film but honestly, it’s no better than our first. They all get the job done! The Hamilton Beach one was actually easier because you could insert a plastic bag to catch the scraps and dispose of them easily.
Here are a few of my favorite resources for my 1st time juicers out there!
- All About Juicing – This site tells you everything about juicing… from the benefits of juicing, to which juicer to buy, and even tons of yummy recipes.
- Jay Kordich – I usually ignore all of the sales ads and get right to the good stuff. Jay and his wife, Linda are juice enthusiasts who have been at it for years. I would head straight to the blog part of their website.
- Joe Cross/RebootWithJoe – This is Joe, the creator of the movie Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. He has an official reboot plan but I love his “A-Z, Fruits & Veggies” list.
Remember, juicing can be so simple! Here are 3 easy steps that I recommend following:
- Choose your recipe. We often experiment with different ingredients but if it’s your first time, you’ll probably feel more comfortable using a recipe. Check these out!
- Wash everything. – This is a good article that explains how to wash your fruits & veggies.
- Juice it.
- Enjoy! – Sometimes we juice daily and other times we juice enough to last a whole week. It’s up to you!
- Into composting? You can save the leftover scraps and add them to your compost.
I think that’s enough for now! Happy Juicing!!